Monday, June 20, 2011

Healthcare delivery as seen by the patient/family

This past Friday, grandpa V had a cardiac arrest. He was a very vibrant 89-year-old with many medical conditions. He was resuscitated, intubated and transferred to the hospital emergency department. We drove down friday night to be at his bedside in a Delaware ICU. We take care of such patients all the time. This was one more chance for me to be on the other side and see how the healthcare system works or does not work. I saw from a family's perspective what drives outcomes and patient/family experience. I hope the wonderful treatment we got was not because I was a physician. There were many things that worked well.

Communication: The emergency department physician and the attending cardiologist both got on the phone to update me as I was driving down I-95. They were open to ideas, and they started hypothermia protocol at my suggestion. The interventional cardiologist also called me before the procedure to explain the rationale and the risks.
Access: The nurse and the ICU allowed family visiting, and gave frequent updates. Doctors and nurses were available a phone call away.
Caring: The hospital sent a comfort cart with coffee, juices, muffins while we were at the bedside vigil. small touch, goes a long way. It showed that they cared.

So, inspite of a bad outcome--death, the family was pleased with the care provided at the ICU in Delaware and will always be grateful to the wonderful nurses, physicians, and the hospital staff for taking such good care of grandpa and us.

I relearnt my lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment